Logo and Brand Identity Design Resources July 2010
This is a new series on Logobird where I will be posting a hand-selected roundup of the best logo and identity design related articles at the end of each month.
July has been an absolutely huge month packed with awesome posts about logo and identity design. Originally, 18 articles were on the short list, however in the interest of keeping it somewhat brief, I cut the list down to what I thought were the 12 very best.
The posts are listed in no particular order. Where possible I have also added a link to the Twitter page of each author.
To stay updated, please subscribe to our RSS feed. Thanks for your support!
Logo and Brand Identity Design Resources
1. Logo Discussion: 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil – via Abduzeedo
An interesting discussion about the controversial 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil logo.
2. The Evolution of the Logo – via Smashing Magazine
A thought-provoking look at the history and current state of logo design. Debunks the myth that logo design is dead.
3. A Fresh Identity for the Girl Scouts of America – via Fast Co. Design
A look at the brand identity redesign of Saul Bass’s original Girl Scouts of America logo.
4. Fun and Games with Font Licensing – via Imjustcreative
Dealing with font licensing is a tricky (and somewhat boring) subject. In this post Graham Smith looks at four possible scenarios a designer is likely to encounter. Very useful advice.
5. How to modify a typeface to create a unique logo via Just Creative Design
Jacob Cass shares how to modify a font (in this case Gotham Light) to create a unique brand identity. This tutorial was also published in Computer Arts magazine.
6. Ask the Expert – A Chat About Art, Design, Computers and Education with Milton Glaser via Design Informer
Milton Glaser is one of the most iconic designers of our time and is most famous for designing the I Love New York logo. This post is an insigntful 12 minute audio interview including a transcript with Milton where he discusses art, design, logos, and more. What does Milton Glaser have to say about logo design? Its boring!
7. Logo Process – Tamara Kauffman Interior Design Identity Development via Imjustcreative
Another excellent and detailed logo design process post from Graham Smith. Discusses the process of creating a logo for Tamara Kauffman from brief to presentation.
8. Ligne Roset logo evolution – via Logo Design Love
The logo evolution of high-end French furniture manufacturer Ligne Roset.
9. Brand New Conference Speakers and Registration – via Brand New
This month brand new announced the line-up of the inaugural Brand New Conference. The conference is to take place in New York City on November 5 2010, and will feature talks by some of the most respected authorities in the industry. For those who are unable to make it in person (like me), a live webcast and delayed videos of the event will be available.
10. How to make your logo design process more profitable via Preston D Lee
Fantastic advice on how to get the money you deserve for your next logo design project.
11. The Crowdsourcing Dilemma. Spec work, crowdsourcing and Crowdspring on NPR via The Logo Factory
Keeping the No-Spec movement alive, this is another excellent article by Steve Douglas at The Logo Factory.
12. An inverse appreciation law? via Johnson Banks
An examination of the expanding context of identity design.
That’s a wrap for another month. If you found this post useful, please share and leave a comment below.